by Rob Allen
Henry Kenny was born on 27 July 1888 at 6 Glen More Place, Woolwich. Henry and his family moved to Hackney when he was one or two years old.
In 1915, Henry was serving as a Private in the 1st Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. On 25 September 1915, the first day of the Battle of the Loos, Henry went out on six separate occasions to rescue injured men, each time under heavy shell, rifle and machine gun fire. As he handed the last man over parapet of the trench he was himself wounded in the neck.
Henry continued to serve throughout the war, achieving the rank of Sergeant. During World War II he served in the Home Guard.
Henry died peacefully in his sleep on 06 May 1979 in Chertsey, Surrey. He is buried in St John’s Cemetery, Working, Surrey.
The Victoria Cross Commemorative Stone for John Pattison is situated in Maryon Park, Charlton.
Tags: No tags found.