Teddy Bears Picnic on the 20th of July, 11am-3pm

Royal Greenwich's collections and archive are housed together, for the first time in their 100-year history, at a facility and store fitted to the highest standards of collection and archive care and management.

Also in the care of Greenwich Heritage are two historical properties additional to Charlton House & Gardens, and eight memorials. These memorials and stones largely commemorate the lives of Greenwich residents who served for the United Kingdom and its Commonwealth in the First and Second World Wars.

If you have questions about our museum collections, the history of the properties and memorials we maintain, or archive, please get in touch.

Discover Royal Greenwich's heritage

A century of preserving physical history

The Royal Greenwich museum collections began in 1902, and today are made up of thousands of objects and artefacts including geology, natural history, social history, archaeology, prints, and paintings.
Email our Collections Manager

Archives & research

Our archive resources include photographs, manuscripts, records, prints, newspapers, and books. These documents cover Royal Greenwich, the former Metropolitan Boroughs of Greenwich and Woolwich, and their predecessors.
Access the Reading Room

Lest we forget

Our estates team is responsible for the maintenance of four Victoria Cross stones and four memorials across Royal Greenwich. Memorials in our care include the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich's First World War memorial at Maze Hill, and the Eltham memorial central to Royal Greenwich's Remembrance Sunday ceremonies.

Charlton Assembly Rooms

Funded by Charlton House resident Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson, this ornate, red-brick meeting hall in the centre of Charlton Village dates to 1881. In the spirit of their original community purpose, the striking Grade II-listed spaces are available for hire. They offer staging, natural daylight, open space, and a nostalgic backdrop.
Enquire about hiring the Assembly Rooms

Tudor Barn

The Tudor barn at Well Hall Pleasaunce is the last-remaining building of its kind in London. It’s believed to have been built sometime around 1525, despite a stone plaque on the north façade claiming a later date of 1568. The handsome, red-brick barn appears to be moated but the water actually surrounded the ancient house of Well Hall next door, reached by a grand, stone bridge that still stands.