Visit > Memorials
Eltham War Memorial
On November 9th, 1924, a large crowd gathered to witness Field-Marshal Sir William Robertson unveiling Eltham War Memorial. A ‘Cross of Sacrifice’ on a white stone memorial wall, the monument sits within the Grade II listed red-brick wall of St John the Baptist church. On either side, two inscribed stone panels record the names of 276 local men who died in World War One, though the list is not exclusive. A few names remain missing to this day.
Maze Hill War Memorial
On the quiet, south-eastern corner of Greenwich Park, where Maze Hill joins Blackheath, sits an elegant stone memorial. Set against a backdrop of simple black railings and dark green foliage its classical lines, ionic columns and red-poppy wreaths commemorate more than 1600 Greenwich lives given in two world wars. It was unveiled in 1922 and a roll of honour dedicated to those who served is deposited within the memorial itself.
Ha Ha Road Memorial
This imposing, Ancient Egyptian-style obelisk on the edge of Woolwich Common remembers ex-Royal Marine staff officer Robert John Little. Unveiled in 1861 and originally a drinking fountain, its bronze working parts are now missing, but much of the lettering remains.
West Parkside War Memorial
Despite its modern appearance, the South Metropolitan Gas Workers War Memorial dates back to 1926. All 79 names commemorate workers from the South Metropolitan Gas Company who gave their lives in World War One. A single, monolithic slab of rough-hewn Aberdeen red granite, the memorial originally stood in the grounds of the British Gas South Eastern works but when Greenwich Peninsula was redeveloped in the late 20th century, it was re-sited in Millennium Complex Central Park.