Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Old Military Academy

Old Military Academy

From 1764, the Old Military Academy provided training in Latin, French, Maths, fortification, gunnery, mining, laboratory-works, fencing and dancing

Originally, the ‘gentlemen cadets’, ranging in age from 10-30, lodged in Woolwich town. However, they were soon moved to a strictly disciplined Cadets’ Barracks of the MIlitary Academy within the Royal Arsenal after gaining a reputation for riotousness. After the Academy was moved to Woolwich Common in 1806, this building became part of the Royal Laboratory.