Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Rotunda

Rotunda

This Grade II* listed building was originally a large bell tent erected in St James’ Park in 1814 as part of the festivities celebrating victory in the Napoleonic Wars

The Rotunda was moved to Woolwich in 1816 and converted into a permanent structure with a lead roof by the renowned architect, John Nash, in 1920. It housed the artillery museum from 1840 until 2001, at which time the exhibits were moved to the Firepower Museum. It is now used as a boxing ring by the King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery.