Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Royal Arsenal Gatehouse

Royal Arsenal Gatehouse

The Royal Arsenal Gatehouse, or Beresford Gate, is the main gatehouse of the Royal Arsenal

This gate was named after General William Beresford, Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy. It has three openings; the wider middle one was for horses and carriages and the flanking openings were for pedestrians. Built in 1828 and enlarged several times up until 1891, it is now a Grade II listed building, which saved it from demolition in 1969 to widen Plumstead Road.