Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Royal Brass Foundry

Royal Brass Foundry

The Royal Brass Foundry was built in 1717, most probably by Sir John Vanbrugh

The Foundry's impressive structure ensured that it could accommodate a vertical boring machine and the tall doors allowed for the easy transfer of newly-made cannons. Guns for government service were cast here until around 1870.