Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Royal Laboratory Pavilion

Royal Laboratory Pavilion

Manufacture of gunpowder and fireworks, integral to many military campaigns, was conducted in this building, although production here ceased after the First World War.

This building is one of two Royal Laboratory Pavilions, with its twin hidden from view behind it.  The pavilions are the only remains of the Royal Laboratory complex, which was taken down in 1950-1 and 1972-4. They are the oldest part of the Arsenal, constructed and enlarged in 1694-6 and 1802 respectively, and they are possibly the oldest Ordnance buildings in the country.