Visit > Woolwich History WalksHighlights > Shell Foundry

Shell Foundry

The Shell Foundry was built in 1856 in order to meet demand for shot and shells during the Crimean War


 

The 400ft (120m) long single-storey building was made up of three internally iron-framed workshops. The two-storey gatehouse, with its magnificent and extravagant wrought-iron gates, is all that survives. The gates were finished with bronze and gold enamel, royal arms, monograms and numerous lit shells around a warrior’s mask in the arch. There are flanking thistle- and rose-patterned window grilles and, to the rear, cast-iron plinths with moulded shot and shell patterns.